Thanks very much for the pointers, Steffen. I don't actually need to use the microsoft smtp server. There is another server that I can send through. I just need to read mail on the imap server. So is your report

 s-nail: >>> SERVER: * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready. ..
 s-nail: >>> T8 CAPABILITY
 s-nail: >>> SERVER: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 SAS$
 s-nail: >>> SERVER: T8 OK CAPABILITY completed.
 s-nail: >>> T9 LOGIN "fozzi-b...@outlook.com" "..."
 s-nail: >>> SERVER: T9 OK LOGIN completed.

authenticating with xoauth2?

But regarding your question, in the mutt(1) MUA repository there
is contrib/mutt_oauth2.py*, and it reads

 -- How to create a Microsoft registration --

That looks promising.  I'll give it a try.

Stephen Isard