I had a 21160 with the manual reverse switch you describe.  I've long
since converted it to DC.  That's the only reverse unit on the engine
and tender.

A four step reverse unit cycles forward-neutral-reverse-neutral.

A two step reverse unit cycles forward-reverse (no neutral)

4 steps units are boiler mounted on early engines, tender mounted in
newer engines. 2 step units are in the cab area on steamers.  Both
styles are remote control and also came on diesels. 

butchclimax wrote:
> 
> Hi S group,
> 
> I thought I could find this answer in several of the repair books or
> in searching the achives - but to no avail-
> 
> I almost hate to ask the question-I know it must be a dumb one-
> 
> I have a cheap ol Atlantic #21160 that was mine as a kid.  I
> completly serviced the engine, cleaning and lube etc. and boy if that
> was'nt fun to watch run.
> 
> My question though is - What exactly is the cab switch for.  Is that
> what is meant by a "2 position reverser"?  I've read a whole bunch of
> stuff in the archives about 4 position reversers and repairs.
> 
> Do I even have a reverse unit in the tender (I didn't want to break
> it apart just to look).  The engine does reverse when the cab switch
> is flipped.  Is there a remote in the tender that is not working???
> 
> I can't remember how I reversed this engine 40 years ago, but it is
> still as much fun to play with!!
> 
> Thanks fellas,
> Vic
> 
> S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
> All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!
> 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

-- 
Chuck Smith of the NASG, Rochester Area S Gaugers (RASG) 
and the S Gauge Chemung Valley Lines. http://home.eznet.net/~cesmith

"It is often wiser to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to speak up and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to