On Oct 12 2016, Nikhil Choudhary <nikh...@taligentx.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Is it possible to recover a filesystem with an up-to-date local cache
> (.db and .params files), s3ql_data_ files, and the encryption master
> key?

That depends on what you want to recover from.

> I’m using s3ql with local storage backend (details below) - after
> cleanly unmounting the filesystem, I made a critical error and
> incorrectly deleted the s3ql files in the backend directory, except
> the s3ql_data_ directory.  Unfortunately, extundelete and other
> utilities were only able to grab some of the older s3ql_metadata_bak
> and s3ql_seq_no files, not the most recent s3ql_metadata file or the
> passphrase file.

So the only objects that are lost are s3ql_metadata, s3ql_passphrase
s3ql_seq_no no?

As long as at least one s3ql_seq_no object is present, this should not
pose a problem.

If the s3ql_metadata object is missing, fsck.s3ql can recreate it from
the .db file. You may have to comment out one or two lines in fsck.s3ql
to deal with the complete absence of existing metadata.

The s3ql_passphrase object can be recovered from the master key, but
currently there is no code to do that.

> Background: I’m testing s3ql along with overlay and acd_cli’s FUSE
> mount for Amazon Cloud Drive.  s3ql’s local storage backend points to
> an overlay mountpoint with acd_cli as a read-only layer and a local
> directory as the rw layer.  Files are copied to the s3ql mountpoint,
> and periodically I unmount s3ql and acd, sync the local s3ql_data_
> directory to acd s3ql_data_, delete the local contents of s3ql_data_,
> and re-mount acd and s3ql.

Sounds like a terrible idea. What are you trying to achieve with this?

"s3ql" group.
to s3ql+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.