Another part of the puzzle has emerged.  I can get access to raw files
through the proxy if they are in a publicly shared folder.  However, if I'm
doing a raw pull within a project in a non-public folder I get a bad
gateway.

This tells me something is going on inside smc, probably with an
authentication token of some kind.  I noticed in proxy.coffee that it looks
like that is how it determines if it serves a file or not.  The section in
question reads:

                if not misc.path_is_in_public_paths(path, public_paths)
                    # The requested path is not public, so nothing to do.
                    cb()
                else
                    # The requested path *is* public, so we get the file
                    # from one (of the potentially many) compute servers
                    # that has the file -- (right now this is implemented
                    # via sending/receiving JSON messages and using base64
                    # encoding, but that could change).

It's non-obvious whether the earlier code in proxy.coffee can handle an
authenticated user's files.  I assume it can, as this capability exists in
the live cloud.sagemath.org server.  Alternatively, perhaps the master
branch code is not actually the code currently running on SMC.  When I try
manually talking to the proxy, and I send the same header sent by my web
browser, I get a blank response.  The proxy doesn't even send a header
back, which tells me that we are likely visiting this segment of the code
even while authenticated.

I'm also beginning to think I'm alone in this, and once I do figure it out
I will join an elite group of individuals who have managed to install SMC.