On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:29 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> to (hopefully) answer all of your questions!  If not -- tell me.
>
> Thanks a lot.  I followed the instructions there to the letter (except
> for prefixing most commands with sudo) and I successfully upgraded.  A
> project currently open in my browser worked fine (I just restated th
> sagews which was running).

Thanks for testing them.

> On security: I see that this runs on port 80.  On the plus side this
> means that I can connect remotely without having to do anything fancy,
> knowing the machine's name is enough.

Use 443 to encrypt everything (i.e., https).

>  On the other hand so can anyone
> else in the world (so I will not reveal the machine's address here!).
> By contrast the old Sage notebook server ran on another port which my
> university did not let traffic through, so no-one off campus connect
> unless they had an account on the machine and could use ssh
> tunnelling.  Would that work here (replacing port 80 on the command
> line)?

Yes, you can do exactly that.   I've written a new section of the docs
to address your question.  Let me know if it works for you after you
test it:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/master/src/dev/docker/README.md#ssh-port-forwarding

> John
>

>>> John