Thanks for the suggestions, they both work.
With some more experimenting, I also found that when the student's file is
still open, if I simply close the "course" tab before closing the student's
file, then I will be taken back to the folder containing all the student's
files when I close the student's file. And of course there is always the
browser's "back" button as a last resort....