From: "Bill Page" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> As technically hard as it might be, I think having a native Windows
> version of Sage - even if it includes only a subset of the standard
> packages - would likely be a big factor in attracting more users.

Being a Windows user, I can't agree less. Also, the notebook running in IE 7
would be much more attractive for many Windows users (including me) than in
Firefox.

> Having even a subset of Sage available as a
> native Windows application would introduce many more users to Sage and
> probably motivate some of them to install Linux in order to access the
> full version.

I always have few Linuxes installed, just for running programs (such as
SAGE) that are not available in Windows. Still, it's not the same.

> I think the best tool for building a native Windows version of Sage is
> probably MSYS/MinGW which is really a cross-compiler and gnu tool set
> that provides a Linux-like environment only during the build. The end
> product is a native Windows application that does not depend on any
> Linux emulation layer. Unfortunately some of the standard packages in
> Sage can not be built in this way and to make matters worse, as far as
> I know the pexpect module that is required for interface with packages
> like Maxima has not been successfully ported to Windows.

However, for Python extensions, the compiler should be the same as the
compiler used to build Python - for Windows it is Visual Studio (Express is
OK) 2005.

Alec