> >  We should be aiming to beat maple/magma,
> > which do this factorization in 0.01 seconds or so.
>
> I agree. But then there is the question of short vs. long term
> solutions.
>
> >  Where are our reverse
> > engineering experts?  How come Maple is so fast at this?

Here's a new 2007 paper I just found that has an algorithm for
multivariate polynomial factorization that the authors claims
blows away Maple in many cases:

          http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0701670v1

There are a lot of references in this paper.  So this might
be a good paper to study so Sage can do something
that beats everybody.  (I have no idea if the paper
is good or crap though...)

William