Presently,

$ sage -pip install --user .....

fails (at least for me, with a vanilla sage install on FC33) with

ERROR: Can not perform a '--user' install. User site-packages are not
visible in this virtualenv.

Perhaps it's worth having this?

Also, I noticed:

$ sage --python3 -c "import sys; print(sys.path)" ['',
'/usr/lib64/python39.zip', '/usr/lib64/python3.9',
'/usr/lib64/python3.9/lib-dynload',
'/usr/local/sage/sage-git/local/lib64/python3.9/site-packages',
'/usr/local/sage/sage-git/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages']

note that the first enstries in this list actually refer to the system
python, not the sage python! I think that means that any patched package
installs that sage uses will be shadowed by the system installations.
That's probably not what is meant.