On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 10:14:57 AM UTC-7 Eric Gourgoulhon wrote:

> Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 14:22:28 UTC+2, seb....@gmail.com a écrit :
>
>> several Linux distributions carry reasonably up to date binary Sage
>> installations (and these can be installed on various VMs, e.g. on Windows’
>> WSL, ChromeOS’ Crostini, etc)
>>
>> For example current LinuxMint and WSL are both on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which
>> gives you Sage 9.0 (as in the example I’ve mentioned above). To get Sage
>> 9.5 you need Ubuntu 22.04 (I guess not very widespread at the moment). My
>> point is the following: until we discontinued the binary tarballs, the
>> straight ahead way to a Sage installation for Ubuntu systems lead you to
>> the current release. This is broken, now.
>>
> To avoid repeating the same advice to people asking how to install Sage
> 9.5 in Ubuntu in  a *simple* way, I've prepared the following page, which
> has been improved by Samuel Lelièvre:
> [1] https://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/install_ubuntu.html
> I've already got testimony of persons not familiar with bash commands (not
> speaking about building from source) who could succeed in installing Sage
> 9.5 in Ubuntu 20.04 by following these simple instructions. Of course, this
> is somehow redundant with Sage's installation guide or README.md, but this
> provides the minimal required steps, without having to read the full
> installation guide.

These are nice instructions. As they are version-specific and need to be
updated after a release is made (because it's referring to the distribution
packaging of the same version!), it could be added to the ReleaseTour for
the version.
(https://wiki.sagemath.org/ReleaseTours/sage-9.5#Availability_as_binaries_and_in_distributions)