Hi,

First of all many thanks to all of you who are improving the installation
instructions!

Le mardi 26 avril 2022 à 14:22:28 UTC+2, seb....@gmail.com a écrit :

> several Linux distributions carry reasonably up to date binary Sage
> installations (and these can be installed on various VMs, e.g. on Windows’
> WSL, ChromeOS’ Crostini, etc)
>
> For example current LinuxMint and WSL are both on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which
> gives you Sage 9.0 (as in the example I’ve mentioned above). To get Sage
> 9.5 you need Ubuntu 22.04 (I guess not very widespread at the moment). My
> point is the following: until we discontinued the binary tarballs, the
> straight ahead way to a Sage installation for Ubuntu systems lead you to
> the current release. This is broken, now.

To avoid repeating the same advice to people asking how to install Sage 9.5
in Ubuntu in  a *simple* way, I've prepared the following page, which has
been improved by Samuel Lelièvre:
[1] https://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/install_ubuntu.html
I've already got testimony of persons not familiar with bash commands (not
speaking about building from source) who could succeed in installing Sage
9.5 in Ubuntu 20.04 by following these simple instructions. Of course, this
is somehow redundant with Sage's installation guide or README.md, but this
provides the minimal required steps, without having to read the full
installation guide.

Maybe [1] could be moved from https://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/ to a better
accessible place, e.g. to Sage's wiki (legacy or Trac). In particular, at
the moment, this page can only be ammended by sending a PR to
https://github.com/sagemanifolds/WebSite.

It would be pretty easy to prepare a bash script executing all the commands
listed in [1] and distribute that script from the download section of Sage
home page. But I don't know if this is a good idea (security issues?)

Eric.