> "Subscribed to sage-devel" might not be a good criteria. For example,
>> Harald Schilly has been the webmaster of Sage since 2007 and likely
>> cares about this switch since it can impact him, but I don't think he
>> reads sage-devel.

If we're going to talk about previous practice, I can't remember there ever
being any criterion other than the sage-devel one.  (And I think a few
votes have been received by proxy in the past.)

I still can't find a thread about rules for voting, but I did find this
presumably relevant one, on another at-least-as controversial topic (but
please let's not revisit past controversies): So I'll withdraw my 2/3
proposal, but suggest we do keep sage-devel as the criterion.
 https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/dR3_eyIUyac/m/LyALpiLcHuQJ
 Quoting from William (8 years ago!!!)

This is a simple majority vote for ...
 I will close voting on Monday at midnight PST. (If the vote
is an exact tie, then that means "No" - there must be a simple
majority for this to pass.) Any member of the sage-devel mailing
list may vote or abstain. I will delete any messages in this thread
that is not a vote -- if you want to make further arguments for or
against, do so elsewhere.

And from https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/dR3_eyIUyac/m/Ooek9-z_oQgJ
I kept the voting simple and
consistent with how we've done all past votes, rather than using a
more complicated voting system, since I didn't want to make even the
voting process itself contentious.