I'm late to discussion (also sorry for top-posting) but I don't see any
discussion of a middle ground where rather than "switching" starkly to
GitHub, just enabling issues and PRs on GitHub and see how it goes.

We tried the same experiment with GitLab some time ago with synchronizing
to Trac, and a number of people used it. I'm not suggesting even full
automatic synchronization though. Just enabling both channels, with a
preference against the "legacy" platform (ie Trac) for new issues?