On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 07:17:17 UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

While in my "ballot" I added a couple of sentenses, they were meant to
rectify the original
post requesting the vote.

I think it's clear that the vote was called prematurely -- there was
clearly a need for people on the forum to see some discussion of the pros
and cons. Even if those discussions were had elsewhere or prior already,
when an issue is raised on sage-devel for a general vote, some discussion
will be required. For synchronous, in-person meetings, Robert's Rules give
a fairly widely accepted framework for organizing discussion and then
proceeding to voting and decision. This makes me think we need Robert's
Rules for online forum democratic discussion and decision making as well,
but I wasn't able to locate a concise and sensible set of recommendations.

This is certainly not the first voting process that derailed on sage-devel,
and it tends to happen in roughly the same way every time, and more
frequently with items that probably looked fairly uncontentious to start
with but for which it turns out there are some different opinions after
all. Those need to be heard close to the vote, in a place near the vote.

The vote on transitioning to github was indeed a shining example of one
where those issues were properly managed. It probably helped that it was
clear from the start there were strong opinions on either side and that a
decision had to be made, so that a clear and transparent process was
required.

I'd say the process for NEP 29 has now become so muddled that it's better
to start clean: Set a week (is that enough? do we need more?) for
discussion, then open a thread collecting votes *ONLY* (no comments) for
another week, count votes -- done.

I think experience has shown we are prone to underestimating the need for
structure in voting, leading to more work when we don't. Hopefully some
upfront investment in a reasonable procedure (even if it costs a full two
weeks!)  leads to faster results with less acrimony than the attempts at
light-weight, fast and nimble voting procedures that derail.