On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 11:00:58 AM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 6:23 PM Matthias Koeppe
<matthia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As service for those who are missing the references: [...]
>
> - 5-year plan (appeared in
https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/sVeu16vaEqo/m/D4pewORzAQAJ and
previously in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35404#issuecomment-1505048255) =
refers to a practice of the Soviet union introduced by Stalin and later by
other countries in the Eastern Bloc. The first Soviet 5-year plan led to
millions of deaths by famine. This reference is particularly offensive
because both Dima and I grew up in the Eastern Bloc.

Offensive? You seem to find this offensive now, but making similar is
spirit remarks about my alledged lack of knowledge of English,
or me being deeply Soviet in my mind, or I f**king don't know what, as in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32532#issuecomment-1418146524
is OK for you?
I quote:

> Ah, this is a common confusion. gcc is a standard package - in this case
the word is spelled "standard" but it's pronounced "base".
> I think this complicated situation is due to the 1918 spelling reform.

(Remark: there was a spelling reform of Russian 1918 in USSR, cf.
wikipedia)

By the way, it's from https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32532

I'm sorry to hear that you were offended by that, I had no idea. It
definitely was not my intention.
To the contrary, I was referring to my (limited) knowledge of the Russian
language and its development as a reminder of our friendly in-person
interactions when you visited me in Berkeley and Davis --- which now seems
ages ago.

I'll now explain the joke:
- "base" referred to the special status of some "standard" packages as
in https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/build/make/Makefile.in#L256
and some loose ends in the source code related to
that,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/build/sage_bootstrap/package.py#L327
- the 1918 spelling reform of Russian consolidated some vowels, rendering
some entirely unrelated words to be spelt the same (I'm not sure whether
also pronounced the same)
- the phrase "the word is spelt '...' but it's pronounced '(something
obviously unrelated)" is a reference to a popular Monty Python sketch that
involves a character named Raymond Luxury-Yacht whose name is pronounced
quite unrelated to this spelling.