On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:00:53 PM UTC-7 Nils Bruin wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 11:13:27 UTC-7 tobia...@gmx.de wrote:

that we normally drop support for older versions right after this support
window (i.e. also adapt the drop schedule
https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0029-deprecation_policy.html#drop-schedule).
I've formulated an improved formulation for this policy at
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35403#issuecomment-1566110884 which
should hopefully clarify this point.

(Dropping support means increasing `python_requires` and removing github
tests for this old version, i.e. similar to
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35404 which is modeled on the PR
drooping Python 3.7.)

Formulated like this it would seem to me we could needlessly reduce the
platforms that sage builds on: this suggests that the "drop Python 3.*" PR
would get merged simply because it's time: in theory we could end up with a
release where the sole commit is the dropping of support (in practice
development is way too active for this).

Exactly, which is why I have opposed setting Tobias's PR to positive
review. (Note that Volker's release scripts currently do not take
dependencies or declared milestones into account.)

I would expect that such a PR would only get merged as a dependency of some
other PR (that makes a fix, enhancement, or upgrades some other component).

Exactly, this has been our current practice. We create the drop ticket as a
placeholder and then, when upgrades of packages are being considered by the
volunteers who contribute to maintaining the Sage distribution, we use it
as a dependency of those upgrade tickets. Making a good, balanced decision
is then very easy with the facts gathered. This has worked well.