> Just because an algorithm is probabilistic
> doesn't mean it necessarily gives wrong answers.  By the way, see
>
>  http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/publi/gcdheu.pdf
>
> which is I think a paper that proves correctness of the algorithm
> we're talking about.  (I've not carefully read the above short
> paper, so I'm not vouching for it though.)

More precisely it fills a little gap in the original proof of the
correctness of the gcdheu algorithm for multivariate polynomials, and
extends the coefficients from Z to Z[i].
Gcdheu is just one of about 4 main algorithms for GCD: ezgcd, modular
(with a sparse variant), gcdheu, subresultant. Giac implements all of
them, gcdheu being used for small problems. I have just created a
benchmark page with Fermat tests:
http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html
follow the benchmark link.
It seems giac is faster than maxima (around 5 to 10 times on these
tests), I do not have access to magma which is most probably another
factor of 10 * faster.
Sage may of course decide to implement it's own algorithms, but as
Roman Pearce said, it is a large piece of code to write and moreover
test. Why not integrate giac and help me improve giac code instead?
There are more interesting piece of codes to write, e.g. bivariate
factorization (which would improve giac multivariate factorization),
or absolute factorization over C. And once there is a link between
sage and giac, sage could benefit from all the calculus code of giac
(series, integration, etc.) which I believe is not the main interest
of Sage developers. I would of course contribute to such a link, but I
do not have time to do all the work myself.

B. Parisse