I agree somewhat with others here that you might want to make this a
little more 'technical'.  I would start with your sentence "Sage
itself is..." - describe what it is first, then some of its
capabilities and technical advantages.  As far as open-source and
free, I think the best thing is to highlight the concrete advantages
this brings: easy collaboration with anyone in the world,
possibilities for education and the developing world, verifying
correctness of implementations, and the ease of becoming a developer
(or to put it another way, the ease of getting your own code in).

Your more personal background and reasons for starting it could either
go later in the abstract, or you could just put them in the talk
itself.

Cheers,
Marshall