On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Tim Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm getting the point in the Debianization of Sage that I'm primarily
> working on the package for Sage itself (rather than its dependencies).
> Below is my current draft description for the Debian Sage package
> (i.e.
> the stuff that would show up when you run 'apt-cache show sagemath').
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> (I've noticed that SAGE has been replaced with Sage on the website,
> and am
> following that change in the package description).

Yes, we officially changed the name from SAGE (the acronym) to Sage (the word)
I think about 8 months ago.

>        -Tim Abbott
>
> Package: sagemath
>  Sage is a computer algebra system with support for a wide range of

I do not like to call Sage a "computer algebra" system.  I prefer to call
it "mathematical software".  I don't like the term "computer algebra" since
it suggests sage is only for "computer *algebra*", whereas Sage is for
much more than just algebra.

>  mathematics, including algebra, calculus, elementary to very advanced
>  number theory, cryptography, numerical computation, commutative
> algebra,
>  group theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and exact linear algebra.
>  .
>  Sage integrates several dozen mathematical software packages, making
> it
>  possible to combine the best algorithms from several different
> packages
>  together in a single Sage program.
>  .
>  Much of the Sage core and the Sage interfaces are implemented in
> Cython,
>  helping Sage avoid the usual performance problems associated with
> Python.
>  .
>  Sage has a friendly command-line interface based on iPython and a
>  web-based notebook interface which can run locally or connect to a
> remote
>  Sage server over the network.

I really really like the rest of this description.

William