On Aug 21, 9:44 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<SNIP>

> > Yeah, unfortunately loads of things got bumped from the 3.1 release
> > due to time constraints and Sage Days 9 also did not help too much. I
> > am merging build fixes into 3.1.2 and so far have mostly done 64 bit
> > OSX fixes. Hopefully I will get around to Solaris in 3.1.2 and get
> > more fixes in there.

Hi Dave,

> OK,  I look forward to seeing the fixes in 3.1.2 (hopefully). Several
> of them are one line fixes - so should hopefully not take long to do.
> The first error that causes the compilation of 3.1 to fail only needs
> two bytes changed (gcc to cc, and cc to gcc), PLUS whatever it needs
> to create a new .spkg file, and I assume generate a new version number
> for the .spkg file.
>
> I can't help feeling these fixes would be much easier to integrate if
> the code was not supplied as lots of .spkg files, but just as simple
> source files. I know for me personally, I would have got a lot more
> done in a lot less time, if it was just a matter of editing a source
> file and changing a couple of bytes in it. Not only that, but if
> someone downloads only changes between versions, it would dramatically
> reduce the amount of code that needs to be downloaded. The fact any
> change occurs in the compressed .spkg file means the whole thing needs
> to be downloaded.

The spkg format we use has *zero* to do that those changes are not in
the official tree yet. We have discussed this before and I do not
think that regurgitating this argument will be of any benefit.

The reason those fixes are not in the tree yet is pure and simple that
those fixes have to go through review and I have been fixing issues
related to Maxima and numpy which are absolutely essential for the OSX
64 bit as well as Solaris port to work. Once those fixes are in I will
revisit the build issues and push them into the review que.

> Dave

Cheers,

Michael