> > Also Giac comes with a lot of stuff that is already in Sage, while Ginac
> > only does stuff that is not there yet (fast symbolic arithmetic)
>
> ???
> What do you mean by fast symbolic arithmetic? Ginac does basic fast
> symbolic arithmetic (+,*), Giac does in addition gcd, factor,
> integration, etc. Of course, maxima or axiom can be called from inside
> sage to do these kinds of computations, but they will not benefit from
> speed or functionnality improvements from other libraries (e.g. maxima
> will not benefit from the inclusion of ginac or NTL or whatever will
> be in sage).
> Dismissing giac means that some sage developers will take time and
> efforts to duplicate what's already in giac from the ginac base.

I meant stuff like this:

"""
Installing the required libraries from source (recommended)
 * CoCoA 0.99 (for faster Groebner basis).
"""

Sage already has "faster Groebner bases" since it included Singular. There is
a lot of stuff like that in Xcas/Giac like that Sage already has. This makes
sense since Giac/Xcas is a stand-alone system just like Sage.

> > Ondrej reported that building Giac required 72 minutes on sage.math which
> > is way too long. Ginac builds in up to 6 minutes. Also Giac seems much
> > larger than Ginac.
>
> Of course, giac is much larger since it has much more calculus
> features. It is indeed long to build with -O2 but with -g it is about
> 10mn or less. I never build with -O2 for development, only for
> distributing final binaries.

Sage is built from source by many people. One of the design goals was to
enable each end user easily to contribute and thus there is no such stark
distinction between "development" and "final binaries". This might change
eventually, but a build time of 72 minutes seems way too long.

Cheers,
Martin

--
name: Martin Albrecht