Well, you have been happy running clisp, even though it is
substantially slower than GCL.
ECL is presumably faster than clisp, but that is not even remotely
surprising since clisp
is a byte-code interpreter.

I don't know what you mean by the boehm_gc is the best of breed
garbage collector.
Perhaps it doesn't fail as often as some other heuristics or doesn't
have as many outright
bugs?

When someone's application mysteriously chokes because all of memory
is mistakenly
taken up erroneously, I guess you will consider it a bug in someone
else's non-python
code. "Let's rewrite it in Python".  (Or does Python also have
a "conservative GC" with the potential for mysterious failure??)

Such errors might be more appropriately attributed to the design error
of the Sage team
in choosing an (effectively) non-deterministic implementation of Lisp.
But that choice will
be so remote in time and place from the error that who would ever lead
it back to the Boehm garbage
collector?  How to fix it? just reboot your Sage and try again?  Just
like Windows.

Usually when I say "good luck" I mean to convey generalized fuzzy
encouragement. In this case,
given the possibility of low-probability events, a more literal
meaning.
Good luck
Richard Fateman