On Feb 4, 10:18 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

Hi Minh,

> AFAIK Matlab can also interface to the Maple kernel in order to make
> use of Maple's symbolic computation features. The following book has
> made use of this Matlab <----> Maple interfacing in introducing
> applications of abstract algebra to undergraduate students:
>
> Richard E. Klima, Neil Sigmon, Ernest Stitzinger
> Applications of Abstract Algebra with Maple and
> MATLABhttp://www.amazon.com/Applications-Abstract-Algebra-Discrete-Mathemat...

Yes, before MuPAD was bought by MathWorks the symbolic toolbox in
Matlab was based on Maple. You can still buy it even now since they
are interested in not breaking old code.

<SNIP>

> > What are some ideas you have about how we could make Sage easier for
> > _you_ (and people "like you") to learn?   How did you learn R?
>
> It would be nice if one can easily use Sage's interface to R in order
> to install R optional packages. I'm aware that there's work on this
> front in trac. My current project requires me to use R in addition to
> a number of R packages. A few weeks ago I tried to install an R
> package using the Sage <-----> R interface, but it failed miserably. I
> just wanted to install a local R package, i.e. not installing via
> connection to CRAN or one of its mirrors. I like R, but I also like to
> use other built-in functionalities of Sage as these save me a lot of
> pain in re-inventing a number of things. So I very much look forward
> to the official release of Sage 3.3 in order to play with the Sage
> <-----> R interface.

The main issue here seems to be related to the use of Fortran runtime
(R does not deal with g95 too well) and some env variable issues IIRC.
If you get me the problem logs again I can take a look since I only
vaguely recall the problem. You might want to open a new thread for
that.

> --
> Regards
> Minh Van Nguyen