On Feb 9, 12:40 pm, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Tim Abbott <tabb...@mit.edu> wrote:

Hi Tim, Ondrej,

> > I mentioned that I'd send mail here again once the segfault problems are
> > fixed.
>
> I want to congratulate you once again for all the work you did. I
> noticed on your webpage, that you were told that it would need 5 or 6
> people working on it. It was my estimate at SD6 in Bristol, given my
> current working load, that I would need 5 more Ondrejs. So I am *very*
> impressed by the work you did.

+1 :)

> > I believe that both of the crash-on-start problems with Sage 3.0.5 in
> > Debian are fixed in version 3.0.5dfsg-2, which is available in Debian sid.
>
> Indeed, sage now starts on both i386 and amd64. Unfortunately, maxima
> doesn't play well neither on i386 or amd64:

> so any calculus doesn't work yet.

Yeah, those are the things I am always concerned about since anything
using pexpect just breaks too easily. When switching to a different
Maxima release and also using a different lisp things get worse (even
though they shouldn't be broken like *this*) and Debian seems to use
gcl for Maxima.

In the next couple weeks I will make an effort fix

 * fix the "trivial" issues Tim reported a while back, i.e. #3686-
 * fix the non-owner ought to be able to doctest issues, i.e. #5155 so
that users can run the regression suite of Sage without owning any of
the Sage tree

> Ondrej

Cheers,

Michael