William Stein wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Carl Witty <carl.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2) plotting
>> A lot of the plotting code is willing to pick variable names (in
>> alphabetical order) if names aren't given in the plot ranges.
>> For instance, this is a doctest in plot.py:
>>    sage: f = sin(x^2 + y^2)*cos(x)*sin(y)
>>    sage: c = contour_plot(f, (-4, 4), (-4, 4), plot_points=100)
>> This will be deprecated, but any of the following will work:
>
> -1
>
> I'm strongly against deprecating anything like this for plotting,
> since there are clear labeled axes in the plot.
>
>>    sage: c = contour_plot(f, (x, -4, 4), (y, -4, 4), plot_points=100)
>>    sage: c = contour_plot(f.function(x, y), (-4, 4), (-4, 4),
>> plot_points=100)
>>    sage: c = contour_plot(lambda x,y: f(x=x,y=y), (-4, 4), (-4, 4),
>> plot_points=100)

I'm just as strongly for the deprecation.  The axes are *not* clearly
labeled: it's not clear which axis is which because there are no
variable names next to the axes.  Even if we fixed that issue, though,
it is not clear to the user how to switch the axes if they are opposite
from what they want.  contour_plot(f, (x,-4,4), (y,-4,4)) makes it
intuitive that if you want to swap roles of the axes, you swap the
ranges.  Explicit is better than implicit, I feel, in this case.

Thanks,

Jason