On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:18:40 -0500
> Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>

>> William Stein wrote:

>> > Well then we disagree.  There is a very standard convention in math
>> > to have the x axis in one spot, then the y-axis.
>>
>> What happens when you have variables u and v?  Or a and b?  Or t and
>> s (oops, I mean s and t; I forgot the alphabetical order; see? it's
>> easy to mess up; but t is often the x-axis, regardless of what the
>> other variable is called, even if it is alphabetically
>> smaller... :).  What about variables some_long_name and
>> some_long_mame?  It's much harder then to figure out which gets
>> magically picked as the x-axis.
>
> I agree with Jason here. I think the variables should be specified
> explicitly.
>
> William, shall we treat the case where the only variables in the
> expression is x and y specially, and allow not specifying the variables
> for the axis then? I think this makes the notation confusing and
> inconsistent.

I have never ever even once heard of somebody complaining or being
serious confused because these pop up a plot:

  sage:
  sage: plot(sin(u), (-3,3))
  sage: plot3d(x^2 + y^2, (0,3), (-2,3))

I have frequently seen and heard of people being confused by

  sage: x(5)
  5

Just for historical perspective, when plot was written there was no
symbolic ring in sage and no symbolic variables, so putting (x,0,3)
made no sense...

 -- William