Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So far in the 4.1.1 release cycle, David Kirkby has added Solaris (on
> the machine t2) build support for about 7 packages. That is very
> impressive work for an individual porter. Out of curiosity, I compiled
> Sage 4.1.1.alpha1 from source on t2. Now the compilation dies at the
> point where the SPKG sage-4.1.1.alpha1 was being compiled. I may be
> wrong here, but the context is that that SPKG tries to link to the NTL
> library and the specific error is in building "c_lib". But don't take
> my words for it. The full log is up at
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mvngu/patch/install-solaris.log.bz2
>
> and here's a relevant snippet:
>
> CC: Warning: Option -fPIC passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
> "src/ZZ_pylong.cpp", line 47: Error: "ZZ_set_pylong(NTL::ZZ&,
> _object*)" is expected to return a value.
> 1 Error(s) detected.
> scons: *** [src/so_ZZ_pylong.o] Error 1
> *** TOUCHING ALL CYTHON (.pyx) FILES ***
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -o src/so_ZZ_pylong.o -c -KPIC -fPIC
> -I/scratch/mvngu/sage-4.1.1.alpha1/local/include
> -I/scratch/mvngu/sage-4.1.1.alpha1/local/include/python2.6
> -I/scratch/mvngu/sage-4.1.1.alpha1/local/include/NTL -Iinclude
> src/ZZ_pylong.cpp
> CC: Warning: Option -fPIC passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
> "src/ZZ_pylong.cpp", line 47: Error: "ZZ_set_pylong(NTL::ZZ&,
> _object*)" is expected to return a value.
> 1 Error(s) detected.
> scons: *** [src/so_ZZ_pylong.o] Error 1

This is the SCons issue - the Sun compiler is being used when we don't
want it to be used. What causes this I don't know. It may be a bug in
SCons, it may be in the package being built.

Sorry if I have answered before. I attempted to, but don't recall if I
sent it, and having swapped computers, I don't have an accurate record
of what I have and have not sent.