I'm going to update the 'prereq' script to add a test for a Fortran compiler. I would like to know what we need.

This is what is a quick summary of what is currently tested in 'prereq'. Is there anything else which should be added to this list.

1) Non GNU compilers permitted, but you need to set SAGE_PORT to something non-empty for those.

2) You are not permitted to mix GNU and non-GNU compilers C and C++ compilers.

3) If using GCC, then gcc and g++ version must be  >4.0.1.

A version 3.4.x gcc/g++ can be used, but you need to set an environment variable

SAGE_USE_OLD_GCC

to something non-empty if you want to use a gcc 3.4.x

4) Checks that gcc and g++ are the same version number.

5) lex, yacc, ar, ld, ranlib, m4, strip and bash - no particular versions are checked.

6) Perl - version >= 5.6.0

(I took a guess at version 5.6.0. I will check the Pari and NTL docs, to see if they say you need a later version than that. If not, I'll leave at 5.6.0, as testing for even earlier versions is tricky. 5.6.0 is quite old.)

7) 'tar' and 'make' must be GNU versions.

8) Warning issued for any non-supported operating system, but build continues as long as SAGE_PORT is set to something non-empty.

9) Warning issued if Latex is not present, but build continues.

Is there anything missing on the above list, which is not part of the POSIX Unix standard?

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/

If for you are aware something needs 'bison', then it should be checked for early on. (I don't care whether it comes with Linux or not.) I just want to know if there is something overlooked in that lot.

Fortran obviously needs to be added, except on OS X.

Dave