On Jan 22, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Peter Jeremy wrote:
Why is Gnu tar needed?  I realise that the Solaris tar is broken
but I've seen no problems with bsdtar?  Maybe the tar test needs
to be a functionality test, rather than a version test.

I'm not so convinced the Sun tar is broken.

I have been bitten badly by Sun's tar silently truncating filenames that are longer than 100 characters on extraction... Of course it's standard conforming unlike gnu's tar, but as a user it certainly feels like a defect. (I had to resort to converting all my .tar.gz into .zip files to be able to unpack things...) So maybe the right answer is that gnu's tar is broken in a good way :)

- Robert