On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:27:40AM +0000, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> This came up on the thread "mercurial on t2" but I thought I'd start a
> new thread on it.
>
> I'd propose that we include in any binary distribution gcc's C, C++ and
> Fortran shared libraries. They would be placed in $SAGE_LOCAL/lib. Then
> we can ensure that people will run Sage with what libraries Sage was
> built with, rather than what versions they may or may not have lying
> around.
>
> The amount of bloat this would add to the binary would be very small. For
> Solaris, the compressed sizes of the files are:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 drkirkby staff       1.5M Feb 22 10:10 libstdc++.so.6.0.10.gz
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 drkirkby staff       717K Feb 22 10:10 libgfortran.so.3.0.0.gz
> -rw-r--r--   1 drkirkby staff        80K Feb 22 10:10 libgcc_s.so.1.gz

<snip>

> The C library is the one people most likely will have, but given it is by
> far the smallest, we might as well include it to be 100% sure.

Note that libgcc_s is not the C library at all, it is a gcc library containing
some support infrastructure for certain features, such as C++ exception
handling. (In particular, it is used for ensuring C++ exceptions can cross
library
boundaries.)

This text describes RedHat's policy on libgcc_s and libstdc++:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-8313

It seems to suggest that if we want to include libstdc++ or libgcc_s, we should
include both.

-Willem Jan