> I'd propose that we include in any binary distribution gcc's C, C++ and
> Fortran
> shared libraries.

I personally think that this is a _very_ bad idea. As others have
emphasised, most
systems out there have a proper package management tool, which can
moreover
take care of dependencies. By doing all that yourself, you also burden
yourself with
the task of keeping the Sage-packaged external programs and libraries
up to date.

While on this topic, can anyone point me to a good read on why Sage
includes every
known piece of software under the sun in its distribution? I would
personally prefer to
get rid of that _all_ and instead use the energy to support deb/rpm/
pkg/... maintainers.

Cheers,
Kasper