On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:48 AM, Kasper Peeters wrote:

While on this topic, can anyone point me to a good read on why Sage
includes every
known piece of software under the sun in its distribution? I would
personally prefer to
get rid of that _all_ and instead use the energy to support deb/rpm/
pkg/... maintainers.

This issue has come up several times before, I don't have a specific thread to point to, but I would recommend searching the mailing list archives. There are projects underway to split Sage into separate packages, but it's a massive effort to do so and no one's successfully gotten a fully working Sage that way (though we're closer than we've ever been). I'm unconvinced it would be less effort on our part (maintaing and up-streaming all of deb/rpm/ports/cygwin/??? rather than just our own extremely simple setup) as well.

- Robert