Hi Rob,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:
> I think it is important that a graph has hundreds of methods, since
> Sage can do hundreds of things to a graph.  Tab-completion is great,
> and more robust wild-cards on tab-completion would be even better
> (isn't this one of Jason's favorite suggestions?).
>
> That said, not only is graph.py so big that doctesting is annoying,
> but in my text editor there is a noticeable lag for the syntax
> highlighting to catch-up when I temporarily unbalance a string or
> parenthesis.   Extremely annoying.  (Yes, I should switch to emacs, or
> vi, or something.)  So a topical (algorithmic) decomposition of the
> source would be a great help.

I think Jason's suggestion of importing a function into the namespace
of GenericGraph is a very useful. The current interface is maintained
while code we want to refactor would be centralized and would,
presumably, help with long-term maintenance. In a sense, a very
long-ish module could be unbloated as per Jason's suggestion while
also lessening the annoyance with a programmer's text editor trying to
catch up on syntax highlighting.

> -1 to moratoriums as well.  Fewer rules, and more thoughtful
> decisions, guidance, discussion, and help.  I can see some new very
> basic function for graphs that Sage does not have (not sure what that
> would be) that naturally belongs at a high level, so maybe graph.py is
> exactly where it should be.

When I thought about a moratorium on adding new methods to any of the
various graph class definitions, I had in mind the addition of actual
method definition. It never occurred to me to use aliases via function
import to get a function into the namespace of a class definition. I
learnt something new today.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen