On 2/26/11 9:20 AM, David Kirkby wrote:
On 26 February 2011 13:57, Jeroen Demeyer<jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>  wrote:
On 2011-02-26 14:30, David Kirkby wrote:
On 26 February 2011 12:45, David Joyner<wdjoy...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM, David Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:

So it seems to me we need to "upgrade" to GPL 3, but then that would
stop us using some code which is GPL 2 only. It seems a catch 22.

Which standard packages are GPL2 only? I didn't know there were any.

Just a search of the "COPYING" file shows:at least the following
appear to be GPL 2 only. I've not investigated these thoroughly,
though.

At least Mercurial and PARI are GPLv2+.  But for example R is GPLv2 only.

Are you sure about Mercurial and Pari?

http://mercurial.selenic.com/about/

says "Mercurial is free software licensed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License Version 2." If one clicks the link to the
license

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

it says GPL 2, with no mention of GPLv2+, or "any later version",  so
I'm unsure how you arrive at that.

That's confusing, because the FAQ says GPLv2+:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/License#What_is_Mercurial.27s_license.3F

Jason