On 11/08/11 13:37, William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>> (I use Sage on Gentoo)
>>
>> For maintainers, the argument is that a package manager should handle
>> dependencies for you. It's easier to write the dependencies down in a
>> text file than it is to maintain and ship them all with every release.
>>
>> For many users and some developers, it's easier to have everything
>> packaged together.
>>
>> I don't think these two are mutually exclusive. If sage-on-gentoo
>> succeeds [...]
>
> I was under the impression that "sage-on-gentoo" has already
> succeeded.    What am I missing?  What are the goals for
> sage-on-gentoo, if it hasn't succeeded?

I didn't have a particular milestone in mind. It was tried before in the
science overlay, but there were a lot of patches and workarounds to
maintain, and eventually the developers burnt out. I did too, and went
back to compiling the tarballs.

I guess I would consider it a success if the sage-on-gentoo guys can
keep up their current pace without getting tired.