I like your ideas about guest distributions Georg.

The missing thing you describe: "a way to tell the host distrubution on
what packages we depend" is not really the missing thing. I think a way to
make sage configurable to use other external program's instead of spkgs is
really the missing thing. Since it is not our responsibility to make
packages specific to a distribution. And the configuration file I mentioned
would allow the person packaging sage for say debain to just put some stuff
in that file so sage knows where to find the packages  (it would be a non
trivial effort to make such a configuration file also work tough). And
leave the generation of the deb file to the guy packaging sage for debian.

Responding to you P.S.:

Well, according to the CPL licence you are allowed to link against the CPL
licenced libraries without using the same licence as them (or even without
opensourcing) so this incompatibility is not that bad right?