Le 08/11/2011 17:04, Michael Orlitzky a écrit :
In any case, the "do them both" approach is fine until one is so
obviously superior that the other side can be convinced.

Just to make my position clear again ; I'm for the "do them both" approach. And I don't call for breaking anything at once, but for slow evolution -- by just being thoughtful!

What I'm critisizing is that there currently is a "sage is a distribution ; if you think otherwise, you can just go in your corner work on it" approach, which doesn't make it easy to package sage-as-a-program, and explains why it isn't in the major distributions already.

Let us take another example how it could be possible.

The gnome project (http://www.gnome.org) is a big bunch of open source programs meant to work together, and released regularly as a whole. But they are still independent, and they still can be installed/built separately. Each can also have its own releases. And if some developper needs to have an upper view on things ; work on several of the pieces at once... then it's still possible, through the use of jhbuild (http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild). Gnome is available on all major distributions, be they GNU or BSD based.

So it's entirely possible for sage to have both the cake and its icing :
- easy for developpers, even those who need to work on several parts of sage at once ; - easy for packagers, to finally finds its way in major distributions, and from there on more devices.

Snark on #sagemath