On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/12 9:48 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anybody want to help put together a GSoC application for Sage for
>> 2012?
>>
>>    http://code.google.com/soc/
>>
>> The application deadline is March 9.
>>
>> So far, I think we've applied 5 times to have Sage as a mentoring
>> organizing, and been denied every time.  I think there is no feedback
>> about why we are denied (maybe they think we already have too much NSF
>> funding?).  Also, other similar projects such as R, Sympy, PlanetMath,
>> etc., have often been accepted as mentoring organizations.    However,
>> I don't think being denied every year is a reason to stop trying,
>> because (1) our project is better than many of the projects Google
>> chooses (they are just making a mistake by not choosing us), and (2)
>> even if they don't choose us, we can propose our project ideas to
>> other mentoring organizations.   Regarding (2) though, it can be
>> frustrating -- e.g., I felt we had an excellent proposal for a
>> mentoring organization one of the years Sage was denied, and the
>> organization decided against funding it because the developers didn't
>> know us personally; their "no" was not based on weaknesses of the
>> project itself, which I found frustrating.   So it's best if we are a
>> mentoring organization.
>

> So are you saying we shouldn't, for example, submit under the Python
> Software Foundation umbrella?

If we come up with good projects that would make sense for PSF *and*
are denied as a mentoring organization, then we should summit there.
 In my remark above, the mentoring org was not PSF.

> I'd be willing to mentor, for example, a notebook project, since that's what
> I'll be working on most of the summer.  I'll already have several students
> hopefully working with me on the notebook, or graphics (webgl, here we come
> :), etc.

Excellent.  I am also willing to mentor a project on the notebook.

Or something on implementing mathematical algorithms.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics