On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 04:58:49 -0800
William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> >> Which packages are those? I thought we were being really careful
> >> to not include any packages that were GPLv2 only in the base,
> >> standard distribution of Sage?
> >>
> >> Or are you just imagining that there probably is such a package?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason
>

> > First one I find is gfan. This is SPKG.txt:
>
> gfan is GPLv2+.
>
> I know the author of gfan personally; I don't remember for sure, but I
> think got him to GPL it in the first place.  All he did was take his
> code and put the standard GPL "COPYING" file (which has the GPLv2
> license in it) in the same directory, and include a LICENSE file that
> says:
>
> -------------
> deep:src wstein$ more LICENSE
> The Gfan software is distributed under the "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC
> LICENSE" as described in the file "COPYING".
> Ask the author if you want a more reasonable license.
> -------------
>
> Because the LICENSE file (and code) do not specifically state that the
> program is GPLv2, one may use any version of the GPL license (>= 2).

I asked Anders about the license off list before William's post. To
clarify this, he changed the LICENSE file to the following :

The Gfan software is distributed under the "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE"
version 2 or any later version as described in the file "COPYING". Ask
the author if you want a more reasonable license.

This will be in a later release of gfan.

Cheers,
Burcin