On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 01:49:22 -0800 (PST)
Timo Kluck <tkl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Op woensdag 16 januari 2013 04:17:48 UTC+1 schreef Michael Orlitzky
> het volgende:
> >

> > Gentoo:  emerge sage
> > Fedora:  yum install sage
> > Debian:  apt-get install sage
> > Ubuntu:  apt-get install sage
> > Mac:     port install sage
> > FreeBSD: pkg install subversion
> >

> > And then it would be nice if we'd distribute two tarballs for
> > downstream
> to package, the one depending on the other: sage (or sagemath) which
> is the command line interface and the notebook, and something like
> python-sage (in the Debian naming convention) which is just the
> python library.

+1

It would be better to keep the ipython interface separate from the
notebook. The ipython interface is very lightweight once the Sage
library is available. The notebook depends on a lot of web development
packages.

In this case, perhaps the ipython interface should be bundled in the
Sage library. It is small enough to justify being an option on the Sage
library. In Gentoo speak, this would be controlled by a USE Flag [1].

[1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html

Let me restate my suggestion in response to Andrew's post. I suggest
including sage-doctest and sage-ipython scripts in the Sage library.
Instead merging all the repositories together.

Here is the full argument:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/z4jPFf_vlRY/L5xBd__j0FYJ

Cheers,
Burcin