A recent post reffers to ticket #14551, which proposes to use
different algorithms for the same purpose, given the fact that
sometimes one of them is much faster, while some other times it is
just the opposite.

This situation is not uncommon in sage. Think for instance in
symbollic integration with maxima/sympy.

I think that a good idea could be to run the different algorithms in
parallel, and whenever the first one finishes, take the answer and
kill the remaining ones. On single core systems this would take
roughly the time of the fastest method, multiplied by the number of
methods. If there are enough cores to run the different methods, this
would take roughly the time of the fastest one.

Do you think that this is a good approach? In that case, should we try
to include it in the different functions that have some "algorithm"
keyword? Should that be the default option?