I see what you mean, and you might be right in this case. But anyways
i keep my proposal: do you think that having an algorithm=parallel
option for the cases where an optimal tuning heuristic is not
possible? I can think on several situations where, even with a good
tuning, you can find exceptions . Think, for example, on provable
primality testing algorithms: there are probabilistic methods that are
much faster than the deterministic one on average... but much slower
in the worst case. Or groebner basis computations, where some
orderings are usually much faster than others, but you can find
examples where this rule fails. Or the case of symbollic integration,
where not only the speed can vary between maxima nd sympy without a
clear criterion to determine a priory which will be faster, but also
the ability to find a solution may also vary.

I think that this could be a good way to take advantage of several
cores.