Hi Nicolas,

On 2013-06-28, Nicolas M. Thiery <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:
> Issue: this induces a small overhead in the creation of categories; in
> particular, upon startup, Sage creates more than 70 categories, and
> according to the patch bot this gives a startup time regression of 5%,
> that is 75 ms.

Hey, on the ticket and on some other thread I created on sage-devel, I
already pointed out that with the little speed-ups of the two patches I
added, the plugin either finds
- *no* regression (this is openSUSE
/12.3/x86_64/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/jehova.local
  on 2013-06-28 13:27:21 +0200
or
- 0.25% regression with 97% confidence (this is
  Fedora/18/x86_64/3.9.5-201.fc18.x86_64/desktop on 2013-06-28 13:37:02
  +0100
!!

> I personally think the feature is well worth the price, but this
> requires a poll:
>
> - [ ] Fair enough, go ahead
> - [ ] 75 ms? are you kidding?

As a general question, I think 75 ms is not much. But I think it would
not make sense to make a general rule out of it.

And I do believe that 0.5% (hence, 8 ms) is negligible and worth paying
in this particular case, because:

> - In the long run, I believe that automatizing the creation of the
>   category hierarchy will allow for local optimizations one would not
>   dare to do by hand, and yield speedups.

+1

> - The creation of many of the categories that are created upon startup
>   could be postponed if Sage did not insist on constructing a couple
>   polynomial rings.

Weeeeell, you need to construct polynomial rings if you want to
construct finite fields (non-prime at least). I don't think there's a
good way to avoid it.

Best regards,
Simon