On Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:12:32 AM UTC-8, William wrote:

> Awesome.  I had never heard of a ring or group until my last year of
> undergraduate studies!   Maybe sage is just my grand scheme to increase the
> chance that people learn about some of the most basic (and beautiful) ideas
> in math at a younger age...
>

> I doubt that this is the direction that math education is going.  There
are apparently
some efforts to teach algebra early
www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/200301/*Algebra*.pdf‎

and I have not particularly followed that.   I was encouraged by some
efforts to
inculcate some common sense approximation notions, and some basic
consumer-economics-statistics  anti-fraud math in early years.

e.g.  how fast can you compute  39*41 ?     How fast can you compute
(40-1)*(40+1)  ?

at 5% interest per year, compounded, how long does it take to double your
money?

etc.

The chance that you will need group theory before you get to college  (or
not go to college)
seems low.

RJF