Hi Vincent

The wikipedia definition of flaming has the words "hostile" and
"insulting". I have certainly been hostile towards Nathann, and have
explicitly explained to him early on why he was wrong and why I was being
hostile. It is part of academic discourse to have heated discussions,
because we are always exploring new ideas. I was hoping this would have put
some sense into him and made sure to hold my ground, rather than letting
the issue drop as I have done in previous discussions. His reactions have
only confirmed that I was on the right track to deal with him: he has never
asked for references, doesn't seem to have looked at those I pointed out,
and eventually insulted me. This is completely unprofessional behaviour. I
even tried to offer to discuss this in private to prevent him further
harming himself. So in summary, I have been hostile and he was both hostile
and insulting.

If you feel that I have been insulting somewhere, PLEASE point me to where,
I will look and immediately apologise if I agree with you.

I will concede that I was waiting for the right moment to jump in on the
mailing list, and that this was planned. Maybe some might be shocked at
this, but again it fits in a larger context that spans at least a couple
years. Again, that's a fair tactic for academics.

This is concerning my attitude towards Nathann. Towards you, I very much
hope I wasn't insulting or hostile (but it is hard to pin down Nathann's
arguments, it is a moving target, so you might have felt associated to some
of the hostility). Your attitude has only been constructive, and in fact
early on I suggested we keep the positivity to your thread. Let me
blanket-apologise if I have insulted or been hostile to you. That was
absolutely not my intent, quite the opposite.

Of course, it is unpleasant for everyone, I am also sorry for that. But
sometimes people need to be put in their place.

Now back to the "content".

I am asking Nathann's opinion because I don't want to go through the same
**** again and again.

And, reading your 2) opinion, you disagree with Simon (but there I am
reading in an email he sent after yours).

Paul

Paul-Olivier Dehaye
SNF Professor of Mathematics
University of Zurich