Interesting, but the error message is not in tar (and, grepping through the
tar git repo, has never been in Gnu tar). So you are using some other tar
in the sage shell?

sage -sh -c "tar --version"

If that doesn't bring anything up, run the doctest under strace -ff and see
which processes are being run.