On Saturday, 30 August 2014 11:49:10 UTC+2, Viviane Pons wrote:

> From what I understand, nobody here is saying what *should* be but more
> how it is. I think the debate on whether people support one way or another
> is mostly irrelevant here, even so, I do understand the frustration and I
> do think myself that all this national stuff is quite stupid.

Well, my opinion is irrelevant, but I personally think you get it.

> Anyway, here's my point of view on "why Europe should support Sage for
> pro-Europe reason" and I would like the opinion of some of you here who
> seem to know more on how these fundings work.
>
> Sage is definitely NOT a American project. It is not own by any American
> university, it is used and constructed by many researcher in world,
> especially by many European people. To support that fact, we have indeed
> the many Sage days which have been organized in Europe with European funds.
> I understand from your comments that we really have to emphasize this.

Right.

> So Sage is needed and used by many European researchers. If Europe is not
> funding Sage, then those researcher rely on Amercian fundings to go to Sage
> days, to use servers etc. European funds could be used for opening a Sage
> service on some servers, just as SMC in Washington.

Yes.

> (Nothing against SMC but it would make sense to have our own service in
> Europe that does not depend on an American university).

Ah.

> My point here is mostly: if Europe don't fund Sage then Sage is becoming
> de-facto an American project (through funding) and it should not be this
> way...

Ah.

> I don't really have time to develop that here, but I'd like to know if
> emphasizing this necessity for Europe to fund Sage sound like a good
> strategy. There is no "European-Sage" that should be developed against the
> "American-sage", there's a "International-Sage" and Europe should be part
> of it.

I agree fully. There definitely should not be an American Sage or European
Sage. That would be a disaster.

> I must say that this national way of thinking is not natural for me or for
> any of the Sage developers who are going to write this application. We have
> to find a way to defend the utility of Sage for Europe without being too
> much in a contradiction with own beliefs in open-source and border-free
> development models.

I agree with your sentiments exactly.

I actually wrote a long list of suggestions. But I decided to delete it. I
don't really have time to defend any of the suggestions or be involved
myself. And I've never applied for one of these things. Better to contact
some people who have been successful with these things.

But my suggestions can be summarised anyway, as follows:

* think big, really big, double it, triple it, triple it again
* identify a specific core goal of the project, e.g. an innovation you have
prototyped and want to bring to fruition. This should have broad
application.
* get numerous beneficiary organisations on board with the project and
identify precisely how your innovation will benefit them
* get numerous contributing organisations on board with the project and
identify precisely how you will leverage their expertise and how they will
contribute and why
* identify how your project or innovation will impact the economy: a spin
off company based around the innovation is a pretty good way
* build a network of scientists who will support the proposal in real
terms, including some big names if possible
* if you want it to be an international project rather than European,
identify international partners and what they will contribute
* figure out how your project is leveraging existing European expertise,
infrastructure and assets (especially scientific ones)
* leave out personal, pet projects that have no broad application
* identify a realistic strategy for meeting *all* the goals, including a
timeline (this should include details of what and when partners will
contribute)
* don't name drop organisations and individuals that are not an integral
part of your strategy or who won't really benefit (please)

I wish you the best of luck.

Bill.