On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 2:41:32 PM UTC, vdelecroix wrote:

> I would have started any official text by "Anybody
> is welcome to contribute" or something like that.

That sounds like a mission statement, not like a code of conduct.

Really, much of the 2-week discussion was just cultural confusion about
what a code of conduct is. Mostly from the non-Americans who have never
seen such a thing. And I understand your culture shock in that regard. On
the other side were people that are quite familiar with codes of conducts
in other organizations and were just as rightfully confused that we can't
even agree on being nice to each other.

Also, during the lengthy discussion there were very few concrete actionable
suggestions for changes. You were one of the few honorable exceptions when
you put the text on the wiki to make changes. But so far there has only
been one edit by yourself, so I think its fair to say that this did not
gather much momentum. Still I would be happy if people can come up with
relevant changes, but please keep it on the topic of a code of conduct.

 Even Volker was not able to
> vote because of his teaching.

I could have voted, but I didn't. Mostly because I think that the whole
discussion was more useful than a text tucked away on the web page when it
comes to reminding everyone to stay civil. So I would have counted either
outcome as a win...

You can not state "be nice" as an order. The only thing which makes
> sense is to say "welcome".

Then why is it called Kant's categorial imperative, should we rephrase it
as Kant's categorial suggestion?  Its just an English language thing. If
you want to argue about it please include other codes of conduct and
explain why they are wrong, too.