Le jeudi 27 novembre 2014 14:50:06 UTC+1, Simon King a écrit :

> Hi Volker,
>
> On 2014-11-27, Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > But we do communicate in English, so we can't really avoid using
> anglosaxon
> > organizational concepts.
>
> I refuse the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Moreover, we do not communicate in
> English as native speakers. So, I absolutely see no reason why our
> Lingua Franca should influence our mindset or our organisational
> structure.

Alternative : make the majestuous Latin of Leonard Euler the lingua franca
of sage- lists/groups. That would give us the added benefit  of having
grammatically well-built posts much more frequently...

(I'd also propose French (but I'm highly biased :-] and that requires
non-ASCII characters), German (also needs non-ASCII characters) or
(classical) Greek (ditto, plus it's murderously difficult to get it right :
in France, old Classicists used to tell that one has to forget greek seven
times before getting a grasp of it...). So Latin, which has been proved for
a long time to be a serviceable lingua franca for mathematics, would
probably be the"least bad" solution if we really wanted to enforce civility
through linguistic tools).

Hoping (but not really expecting) this helps,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier