On Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:25:52 PM UTC, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> > In any case, that is just another example of cultural baggage. Which is
> > neither good nor bad, its just how things are.
> Rather, it's another example of psychological trauma. It has little to do
> with culture (well, a lot with lack of culture).

There are multiple meanings to "culture", I meant the anthropological
sense. Not: Theater and opera.

I don't see how language is relevant here. These issues are
> language-agnostic, IMHO.

How is it language-agnostic, we had two weeks that were mostly discussion
about language. It should/should not be called "code", phrased differently,
imperative vs. voluntary, written or unwritten. None of these change
anything in the message, surely we agree on being nice to each other.

> Definition from wikipedia/IFAC: "Principles, values, standards, or rules
> [...]
> The following fits quite well here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Code_of_the_Builder_of_Communism

Sure, principles can be good or bad. We all have (written or unwritten)
principles, values, standards, and rules. Whats your point?

>From the organizational perspective, it makes it very hard to argue (in
writing / on a mailing list) about anything that is unwritten/implicit
and/or that does not use standard terminology. Sure there are a bunch of
fine points in the English language that might cause misunderstandings
(especially if you are not a native English speaker), starting with what a
"code of conduct" is and is not. But that really applies to any concept.